Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Where will the course be held?

The next Course will be held at Camp Betz in Berrien Springs Michigan.

What are the Course Dates

C7-456-19 will be held on two weekends.  September 20-21, 2019 and October 26-28, 2019.  You must attend both weekends.

Pre-Course Orientation

August 28, 2019, Location TBA

What is the Cost

  • The course fee is $275.00 if fully paid by July 21, 2019.
  • After July 21, 2019 the fee increases to $300.00.
  • Minimum Deposit is $125.00 at the time of registration.
  • Balance is due no later than August 20, 2019.
  • Consult the PTAC website for the Council refund policy.
  • For Scholarship information click here.

Register Here

Note: Registration is scheduled to Open by Monday December 10, 2018

Do I need a Medical Form?

Yes: You must be capable of functioning safely in an outdoor environment. (Participants must submit parts A, B, and C of a BSA Health and Medical Record with a physician’s signature dated within one year of the start of the course.)

Download your medical forms here

What are  the uniform requirements?

A personal list can be downloaded from the Resource page on this website. Participants wear the full uniform for the position that they are currently registered in.  Venture Crew members are required to wear grey pants.  Jeans are not considered official uniforming for Wood Badge.

What are the Prerequisites for Wood Badge?

One of the requirements for taking Wood Badge is to complete the basic training requirements for your primary position prior to attending. BSA Basic Training was completely revamped in 2001, read below to see which basic training requirements apply to you.

  • If you took basic training before September, 2001, and have not changed positions since that time, you are qualified for Wood Badge. These courses fulfill the basic training requirements:
    • Cub Scouters – Cub Scout Basic Training
    • Boy Scouters – Scoutmaster Fundamentals
    • Venturing Scouters – Venturing Basic Training
    • District or Council Committee – District Committee Training Workshop
    • Unit or District Commissioners – Commissioner Basic Training
  • If you took basic training after September, 2001, or have changed positions after that time, you must take New Leader Essentials plus the Leader Specific Training for your position. Assistant leaders take the same course as the leader. These are the required courses:
    • Tiger Cub Den Leader – Tiger Cub Leader Specific Training
    • Wolf/Bear Den Leader – Den Leader Specific Training
    • Webelos Den Leader – Webelos Leader Specific Training
    • Pack Committee Chair or Member – Pack Committee Leader Specific Training
    • Cubmaster – Cubmaster Leader Specific Training
    • Scoutmaster – Scoutmaster Leader Specific Training
    • Troop Committee Chair or Member – Troop Committee Challenge
    • Varsity Coach – Varsity Leader Specific Training
    • Venturing Advisor – Venturing Leader Specific Training
    • District or Council Committee – District Committee Training Workshop
    • Unit or District Commissioners – Commissioner Basic Training

Outdoor Skills Training

If you are a Scoutmaster, Assistant Scoutmaster, Varsity Coach or Assistant Varsity Coach you must also complete the following training.

  • Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills

All participants are encouraged to complete the Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills training before attending Wood Badge, but it is not required.

For more information consult the National Website for Training Updates or contact the Course Director for answers to any questions.

Is Financial Assistance Available?

Yes. It is the goal of the Training Committee to make Wood Badge available to all Scouters. With Wood Badge being the premier leadership course, participants may be partially sponsored by their chartered organizations. A a number of employers may also partially or completely underwrite necessary fees for a Scouter to attend.  Please contact the Course Director if you would like to discuss scholarship opportunities for Wood Badge. The best way to manage the course fee is to register early and make regular payments until the fee is paid in full.

Qualified Scouters may also apply for these national Wood Badge scholarships: